Saturday, March 27, 2010

"He is not here; for he is risen."

If any of you have ever been in my home, you can say that I have alot of pictures. I love to take my favorite pictures of my babies and put them through out the house. These children are what I live for. They are what keep me going. But in my home, there is a picture that is by far my favorite. It is not one of my husband and I when we were dating and I was thin.lol Or even of my first born son. It is a simple picture, in a simple brown frame, done by a man named Walter Rayne, that sits on my window sill above my sink in my kitchen. It is a picture of an empty tomb where Christ was laid to rest, and on that tomb the cloth that he was wrapped in, and the picture is called "He is not here;for he is risen.... This picture, this sentence out of Mathew 28 is so important to me. This to me, may be one of the important pieces of truth that I know. Jesus Christ himself made it clear to Martha when he found her weeping over the death of her brother Lazarus.
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
I have grown up with this gospel, and when I heard these things and was ever asked if I thought they were true I thought to myself "of course its true" I never really asked myself why I think its true. Its like when my husband and I finally, after 6 years of being married, took our little family through the temple to have them sealed to us. I was so grateful to have the knowledge that if anything were to happen to me or my husband or even one of my children, it would be okay. But when something did happen, that knowledge, that faith that I held on to so strongly was shaken. It is one thing to believe it, and know it with all of your heart, but when I actually had to apply it to my life, when I actually had to live the "just in case", it was alot harder than I thought. I had to keep reminding myself of what I had been telling myself for years. That my son, our loved ones, every one who we have ever loved will rise again.
" When Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled,
And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
Jesus wept."
Jesus wept..... Jesus the man who healed the sick, caused the blind to see, and would soon raise the dead. He wept with them, and for their sorrows. So I am learning that it is okay for me to weep, to have moments of sadness, but I still know without a doubt, with every bone in my body, that someday..... my son will rise.
“And he that was dead came forth” This is why this simple picture in a simple frame is my favorite. Not just because I have read of the miracle of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, or of the angels saying to them as they found christs tomb empty" Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen" It is my favorite because I believe it. I believe it with all of my might, mind and soul. I have put my trust in the lord and I know that the lord never breaks his promises. The lord did not promise me a long life with my son, he didn't promise me a life without pains or sorrows, or death, but he did promise that who ever shall believe in him, shall have everlasting life. That is my goal now. To remember these promises and strive each day to be worthy of living with my perfect son who is waiting for me. To raise my children I have been blessed with as best as I can in righteousness, to love my eternal companion unconditionally. I am grateful for this knowledge, I am grateful for my mother who has raise me with the gospel, I am grateful for my heavenly father trusting me with these spirits to raise, and to love, and to teach.
But most importantly I am grateful for the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for all of man kind, because of him someday, I will be able to say the words about my own son....... "He is not here, but is risen" Happy Easter...

3 comments:

pwincessdi said...

beautiful post lacey, thank you! :)

Klarah said...

That is such a beautiful post!! I loved it and I understand completely what you are saying. Although a loss of a loved one will shaken your faith, I'm glad to know you kept it and allowing it to grow stronger as you grow with the gospel!!

Jillian said...

Lacey, I could not have put this more beautifully even if I would have tried. I am so proud of you and your understanding of the gospel. I can completely comprehend your testimony being shaken through that, but I am so grateful that you too found how sincerely the Lord loves you. It is interesting that that same set of scriptures is what helped me heal! I especially loved reading that Jesus wept when he heard of Lazarus. It was there that I truly understood that he was weeping with me and felt my pain.
I love you. You are strong, beautiful, and, a dear friend.
Love ya....